View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mrak
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

Hi BeachAngel,

If you are serious about your own sobriety, it is inevitable that some friendships will end. But new friendships will grow and some existing ones will get better.

As I continue my sobriety, I notice that my drunken friends slowly disappear. They figure it out that I am not interested in getting involved in their daily drunken dramas. Like you, I want to be compassionate and helpful to people, but I won't engage in their drunken lunacy or even offer advice when asked about all the chaos taking place in their lives. Most of the problems in a drunk's life are caused by their own drunkenness. This might sound heartless, but I refuse to be part of someone's mire of drunken dung.

As friends find out how long I have been sober, and have seen my life improve, they will call me and ask how to "sober up." If they are serious about it, we will talk and start to hang out together. But I won't talk with them if they're half in the bag. I actually say, "Don't call me until you're serious about this." Typically responding with, "I am serious about this, blah, blah, belch, blah." My response, "Ya, well you're still drunk, so don't waste my time - goodbye." It's not worth my time or effort. Every plan sounds brilliant when they're drunk, but those plans are rapidly forgotten when they open the next beer, bottle of wine or fifth of Scotch.

You have the choice to stay away from obvious triggers: Stay out of bars, don't go to Clubs or parties for a while. If random friends drop by, tell them you are busy and ask them to leave. It's your house and they have to play by the house rules.

Time spent alone is invaluable and that's what you may need for the first few months. Yes it can be boring at times - that's just how it is. It will eventually pay off, be patient. Positive friends WILL come your way. My new circle of friends are a lot of fun. Healthy, intelligent, productive, creative, engaging and most importantly - sober. Pay attention to yourself - be a bit selfish - let those so called friends find someone else to ramble on about their drunken crap-o-la with.

I wish you success in your continued sobriety and a drama free future. Keep at it, this WILL pay off.