View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
meo348241

I know that for many in recovery cutting ties to people that use is the only way they can maintain their sobriety. Thats exactly what I had to do at first. I couldn't see any of my friends even if it was in a non-drinking, non-using environment. I knew that things couldn't stay this way forever though. Some of my drinking buddies were just that. Its unfortunate to say, but remove booze and drugs from the equation and we don't have much in common. On the other hand, there's others that I simply cannot cut out of my life.

If I were to cut everything out of my life that is/was a trigger then I wouldn't have much of a life. I used to enjoy getting high after a good workout or even a therapy session. I'm not going to stop doing these things for that reason. I just have to accept and understand that drinking and using are not in the equation anymore. I stay out of bar rooms but if I get together to watch a game with some friends, chances are, they are going to be drinking or getting high. On some days that's a deal breaker, on other days I could care less what they are doing to themselves. I think it comes down to how comfortable you are with your own sobriety. I don't want drink anymore. I'm not going to and the only one that can mess that up is me. I'm going to a Phillies game tonight. Everyone in that crowd, my friends, included can get tanked if they so please. I'll be focused on whats happening on the field.