View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Greener
Enlightened Black Man

Sober due to Naltrexone

Hi!

I'm Greener. I live in Valdosta, Georgia pretty much all my life. Normal childhood. Normal experimentation growing up including alcohol. Didn't think much of it until I got into middle age. I was drinking every day. Not much at first, but it was more and more year after year. My doctor said I had to stop because it was interfering with my other mediaction. I figured, OK I'll stop.

Then I realized, I couldn't stop. I tried and tried so many times. I was an alcoholic! I tried AA, RR, psychlogists, stress training courses, meditation and none of it seemed to work. The doctor that told me to quit told me AA was the best way, but I told him that I relapsed so many times and didn't think I had it in me. So he prescribed me Camparal. I took that drug and it didn't do anything that was noticable. I tried Antebuse for a week, but the side effects were unbearable. I asked him about baclofen, because I read something on that, but he wouldn't prescribe that.

He then suggested Naltrexone, but he wanted me to take it differently than how other doctors prescribed it. Instead of taking it every day and trying to be abstinent, he said take it only before I drink if I felt that I had to drink and not to take it when I could stay dry. After 5 months of this seeming endless treatment, my drinking got easier and easier to control until finally I could say no and mean it! I am now free of alcohol and it is easy for me to stay dry now.

I am so happy now. I realize that I should have joined this site earlier, but I thought it was only for those who were ex-alcoholics. I was mistaken now that i read a lot of the material here. There are many ways to get to be sober. I am glad my doctor had a way that worked for me.

I mistakenly posted my first few posts on a sinclair method thread that I found because I was searching for others who used Naltrexone. The folks there said since I was new I should post here first to introduce myself. So here I am. Happy to share my new-found happiness and freedom from alcohol.

RG