View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BeachAngel

Friends as triggers

Hello,

I am newly sober and I tried twice before, each time lasting a bit over a month. Well, I am happy to say I am going for it again and I am trying to avoid those things that remind me of my old drinking lifestyle.

I was doing great then tonight had a visit from two friends that I used to drink with. There was no drinking going on but just being with the two of them, seeing them, hearing their voices made me seriously crave a drink. I am calming down now by reading these forums. I have other friends that don't drink that I have been spending time with and would be happy with no friends at all if that is what would need to happen for me to stay sober.

Has anyone had an issue where they had to cut ties with some friends to stay sober? I have tried before but my friends rely on me heavily for help and support, it seems the more I try to avoid them they more they call, ask for favors, etc. Even though I am an alcoholic I am a very strong person and my friends look to me for support, love, care, and advice.

I feel like I need to take very good care of myself and my sobriety right now. Any advice on cutting ties with friends that are not condusive to my non-drinking lifestyle? It is not that they are intentionally unsupportive, it is that they call me while they are drinking and even when they aren't they remind me of my old drinking ways.

Thank you,

BA