View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

Confidence is High

This is my tapering week. Since Sunday night, it has been a bitch; shakes, sweats, chills, anxiety attacks, insomnia, and when sleep does come, the most bizarre dreams ever. (If you see Daphne from the Scooby-Doo cartoon, tell her she can keep the whip, I just want the keys to the cuffs.)

Perhaps foolishly, I am managing my own detox. I am not offering or asking for medical advice, just letting you know where I am. I know it can be physically dangerous and is emotionally difficult. This morning confidence is high, but tapering is such a tricky place. It is so easy to back-off for a few days, feeling like you really moving toward your goal, and then say “screw it” and take off on an epic binge. Anyway, Friday is the day I’ll give this another shot. Meditation, self-hypnosis, exercise are my primary tools to get the goal of freedom from addiction – Ultimately all addictions not just ethanol.

I have been reading lots of posts here, and I am very happy to see the level of caring and thoughtful discourse. Hopefully I can contribute. I am a little surprised that there is not more of a discussion of the neurophysiology of addiction, and alternates to disease models of addiction. If these topics are a bore, inappropriate for this forum, or has been discussed to death, let me know and I will shut my pie hole Would a blog be a better place to discuss these topics?