View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

thirtybubbba seeking said:

This can be yours. Each and everyone of you. Join AA. If it isn't for you, try something else, but don't give up!! I did it on my own, through education, exercise and nutrition, and THIS BOARD!!
Thirtybubba you ask:

"It gets better"--but how? Is it physical, mental, emotional, what changes.
I can not answer for Seeking, but since seeking and I are on the same basic sobriety path AA, if you and of course seeking do not mind I will answer you with my experience as to what changed for me.

Phsyically just by not drinking long enough my eyes cleared up, my liver quit hurting, the swelling of my liver went down, my liver enzymes returned to normal, my skin returned to a normal color and became far healthier looking, my bowel movements changed for the better, I actually had color to my urine and I did not urinate all the time.

Mentally my thinking kept improving for over a year, as I took the steps & applied them daily, I felt better and better about myself and who I was slowly becoming, I became more in tune with a Power greater then myself, I have become spiritual, not like a monk per say, but in tune with the world around me. Thanks to taking the steps and applying them the obsession to drink has been lifted. I am comfortable in my own skin, I like myself for who I am today knowing that I still have much to work on yet.

Emotionally...... well my emotions have leveled out dramatically, taking and applying the steps have allowed me to be far less emotinal because I no longer let things build up inside of me, when a problem arises I have tools now that aide me in workiing through problems rather then worrying about problems I deal with problems, I also have a great deal of support and experience to draw upon for other people in the fellowship, people who have dealt with far more problems sober and are more then happy to help where they can.

It does get better, everything gets better!

It takes work for things to get better, it is far more then just a simple matter of not drinking one day at a time, it takes working daily on me becoming a better person, on doing the next right thing, maintaining a connection with a HP that helps to guide me through tough stuff, many times that is passed on to me at meetings by folks who have walked through the same type of problem and stayed sober.

For me it did not get better alone, we got better and being part of we I get better.

For me the key to long term happy sobriety had to do with me finding another solution to life that did not involve drinking, I have found that solution in the program & fellowship of AA.