View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Waikanaetanga

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome....I went to my first Al - Anon meeting about 10 days ago. As I sat there and heard the stories I thought to myself ..these people feel like they have the same blood as me. They seem so much like my own natural family. My brother has been in recovery for about 10 years I think and I have gained many insights through him. But most of all I have been amazed at how his life has changed and how much I enjoy his company.

My eldest son, 15 years old, is a drug addict. Both my husband and I are adult children of alcoholics and I've come out of denial and accepted my life is unmanageable. I thought it only became unmanageable when my son first started using drugs over a year ago. As I have been reading "How Al - Anon works" and after my first Al-Anon meeting I saw my life has always been unmanageable for as long as I can remember. What a shaft of light!!!

I've been amazed that just in this short time of handing over to God, moment by moment and living in the present, at the peace that has already entered my life. So I'm on my journey in recovery. I understand I can't beat this illness in myself, my son or my family, but I can find a way to live without fear, anxiety and gulit, one day at a time or rather moment by moment.

I'm very happy to be here. Thank you.