View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
seehseef

Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
When I drank, I drank to get away from "me". I've learned the "me" I drank to get away from was the "drunk me".....I was a miserable drunk. After several months of sobriety now, I've come to see "me" as a "sober me".......
Very well said, OM! It seemed for some time that my personality had split in two - a Jekyll and Hyde comparison is cliched, but cliches exist for a reason...

One example of this is that I remember several occasions where I would be completely trashed, and suddenly a seemingly important thought would pop into my head - something I wanted to do the next day, a phone call I wanted to make, etc. I knew that there was no way that I would remember the thought the next day (since I was usually on the verge of passing out by this time), so I would quickly write little reminder notes to myself on whatever I could find lying around.

The notes would usually consist of content like, "Sober me - don't forget to buy sandwich meat tomorrow for the kids' lunches," and I would hastily scrawl these thoughts down as quickly as I could so that I wouldn't forget them. Often times, I'd be unable to find paper and would write them (in black Sharpie, no less) on my arm or the back of my hand. The following morning, I, as "Sober me", would wake up and shake my head in disgust when I would find and read these notes that had been scattered around the house, often written illegibly with such "urgent" messages as, "Let's keep this system free!" (whatever that means) and other such nonsense. I would actually become angry at "Drunk Me" as if he were another person entirely. In short, I didn't/don't like "Drunk Me".

I do now, however, love "Sober me". "Drunk Me" was always a crazy idiot that "Sober Me" likely wouldn't even be friends with or even admit to knowing.

In short, I like the fact that after almost two weeks sober, I have begun to reconnect to the person I was before my decent into this madness.

To "Drunk Me", I'm saying,

I'll do without you very well. It's time to live my life.

--Signed, "Sober Me".