View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
traderjane

I think we all go about this slightly differently. I actually made the decision to NOT drink for the rest of my life, just the other day. I could not do that up until now as I did not want to let go of drinking entirely. It was a "light bulb" moment for me. I'm only on Day 4, but it was the right decision. I weighed all the factors, I've tried every type of drinking arrangement known to man, and I came to the conclusion of what is best for me - physically and emotionally. I'm not missing drinking, because I've decided it's not an option for me anymore. I can't do it. Period.

It is difficult not having that "outlet" anymore (to escape from myself, as you say, Effortjoy.) But that is overrrated, because eventually, when the buzz wears off, you have to face yourself again. And usually, it's worse, much worse, as you've lost a part of yourself in the drink. That's how I feel anyways.

Effortjoy, I have started some personal pyschotherapy and think it's going to help me a lot. In addition to what everyone is saying about programs, AA, etc. maybe you should consider therapy if you are not doing that already?