View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cherrie1

Lostnhurt,

Your husband needs inpatient help. The problem is he also has to want it. He can go through the motions but if he is not truly ready to stay sober and do the work he will just go back to his old ways. You can not change him but you can take care of yourself and your daughter. You say you love him and don't want him gone that long but do you really want to keep living like this? My son is my addict and I know how hard it is to live with one. The thing is you are being manipulated and you can't see it. We love our addicts and I always hated the term enabling because I felt as a mother I was only helping but I have come to see that my "love/enabling" has helped prolong his addiction. I have just recently been learning to step back, this is his journey not mine(I know it is easier said than done). If he chooses to ruin his life I can no longer let him continue to ruin ours. Rehab is not always the answer (sometimes it takes several tries) but I doubt he could do this on his own. They need all the help they can get. It is not as easy as them saying I will stop. I too do not understand how a child could not make them want to stop but read this forum there are many addicted parents. Hang in there and start putting the focus on you and your daughter. I pray that he decides to focus on his recovery. Best of luck.