Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

It's possible that you might find a NA group that would work with you, but I think you kinda have to check the attitude at the door. I'm not a 12 stepper either, but if I want to go to a meeting for support I'm not going to argue with them about their program and why it doesn't work. I'm not saying you would do that, but if I were you I'd just kinda keep those opinions to yourself.

You might want to ask your theripist if there are any group therapy sessions held anywhere close that she knows about. I checked to see if either SMART or Lifering had any meetings close to you, but neither do. I would think wiht Albany being fairly close that there would be something secular around there, but I couldn't find anything. Some NA meetings are more "open" to people with other beliefs than others. My best recomendation to you if you choose to go, is to go with as open a mind as possible. If possible, just try to agree to disagree with the things that don't sit right with you.

Some "hardcore" 12-stepers would say that you are not welcome as you have no intention of working the steps, which is fundemental to their program of recovery. However there are others that subscribe more to the "everyone is welcome who has a desire to stop using." I'd say just kinda try to feel your way through it. Bite your tounge a bit if you have to, and if you find it helpful, keep going back. Otherwise, try and find something else that might work for you. Just my 2 cents!! Best of luck. Take care.