View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hudstar

This is a really helpful discussion as it's something I keep obsessing over as I inch nearer towards taking the plunge into sobriety.

The more I think about it, looking ahead, the less concerned I am with the idea of telling the casual associate, colleague, host that I don't drink.

But they're are a close few to me, made up of old dear friends, my mother and brother and a few close friends/housemates who have been close in proximity enough to see my decline over the recent years. It's these people that I most want to be able to come out honestly with about my problem and what I intend to do about it. Noble enough. right?

But the part of me that is is holding me back is how badly I want them to be able to understand the full gravity of what I have put myself through and what I'm trying to do to get better. It's selfish perhaps, and possibly just alcoholic thinking, but just saying 'I'm giving up drinking' reveals virtually nothing. Same for just saying, "I'm an alcoholic." How do I convey the hell that has been my addiction when these phrases have been heard so much they've all but lost all meaning?

Maybe it doesn't matter all that much. Still....