Thread: Need to Lay Off
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Taking5

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
dgillz,

I respect your posts, so please don't take this as a criticism, but I don't believe your statement is supported by the Big Book. The BB states that most alcoholics (those to whom this book will appeal) will be unable to stay sober anything like a year.

My experience (observation) is that almost anyone can hold their breath for a month. I would not use that as a basis for determining alcoholism. The controlled drinking experiment (also not specifically supported by the BB) of two drinks per day, every day, no more no less, for a month is a far better test of the craving phenomenon.

Shoot, dgillz, I see folks all the time under the right judicial controlled system stay dry for two years. When threatened with jail, tested random every few days, intensive counseling, most of the diversion/drug court folks stay dry for a year or more without difficulty. And most of them go right back to drinking after they are released from that program.
While I agree that 30 days is not mentioned in the BB, it is pretty common in AA, regardless. And the "controlled drinking" experiment is most definitely mentioned in the BB as Tazman quoted.

In terms of going 30 days, I think it is safe to assume the OP silence208 is not under any of the judicial restraints you mentioned, and as such, the 30 day challenge may well be quite applicable.

Last edited by Taking5; 08-18-2009 at 03:53 PM.