View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tosh

Originally Posted by liquidfireangel View Post
i know im hurting myself, but i cant imagine what i would be like without drink and certain drugs
I remember thinking exactly the same thing; in fact I've even posted that on this forum along the lines of, 'is a life without alcohol worth living?'

I reckon you could be one of 'us' judging by the insanity of that post I've quoted, and I meet young alcoholics in their early twenties who wouldn't have seen their thirties the way they were drinking. Age has nothing to do with it.

Me? I was a 'lightweight alcoholic' compared to some of these young people who've lost everything including their health. You do need some help, but whether you're willing to receive it is another matter.

For some people they end up dead before getting help; for others they have to wreck their lives and health before they get it. The lucky ones are the ones smart enough to get help before anything too drastic happens.

Me? I'd lost a family and a military career I'd spent 17 years in before I went to AA; that was the price of my alcoholism, and I got off lightly.