View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
andyaddict
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
Here's one idea, for what it's worth: let them get the slip signed at the door signifying that they came to the meeting. Then they have what some of them came for. After they get the signature, we could invite them in, lovingly and without any pressure. If they wanted to, they could then come to a meeting of their own free will, as the court slip has already been signed. I don't want anyone there that isn't at least mildly curious to find out about getting clean.
Ahhh, wisdom beyond your years young one.

I always liked that idea, some want to keep them hostage with the excuse "maybe they'll hear something that will save their life."

My opinion is that if they are there against their will they probably wouldn't hear anything anyway. And even MORE important is that those who do not want what we have to offer often detract from those who are there for it. I.e., the addict present who is seeking recovery looses out.

So, I personally sign them as soon as possible, laying them out on the table easily accessible for their holders to pick and run. Saves us coffee that way too.

Next, no, I do not hold with those that think court cards are a "violation" in reference to our traditions. There is a vast difference between cooperation and affiliation. Hence signing and returning them as soon as you get them doesn't make me an agent of the government to enforce their imprisonment for an hour or so.

I've heard of meeting "signers" being subpoenaed. However I believe case law has been established that does not allow any judge to infringe upon the anonymity of the signer by calling him to testify, citing the overall good of the fellowship outweighs the needs of the courts in these instances.

Shite, the meeting I chaired this afternoon had nearly 20 cards. Yeah, they can be distracting, undisciplined, and all… yet who am I to judge – I’m there to serve.

a