View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

As it was explained to me, the purpose of the suggestion, by sponsors, that we newcomers make 'X' number of calls per day was so that if/when the time arrose when we 'needed' to call/reach out for help, by then, hopefully, most of my anxiety/fear regarding that 'heavy' phone and those folks on the other end of the line will have receded a bit.

One of the first suggestions my sponsor gave me was to get at least two new phone numbers at each meeting I attended, and to make three calls every day (and talking to answering machines did NOT count). Well, let me tell you, the last thing I wanted to do was be conversating with the folks I met at meetings. I did, however, find an 'easier, softer way,' at least for up until I could have real conversations with those at the other end of the line.....lol

......and that 'easier, softer way' was (when a live person answered), all I had to do/say was, "Hi, this is ________ (insert your name here, or u kin use mine; makes me no nevah mind), and this is just one of my AA calls for the day," and then I immediately hung-up.......! see......? ......simple ......and I just love simple.

After a bit of just this convo, I started adding a bit more, but even with just this minimal, I found that I was could be helping others......: one time, before I could hang-up, the person on the other end said, "Wow, perfect timing...!! I was just sitting here with a nice, big bottle of beer, contemplating whether to drink or not."