Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Prozac

Honestly, you are the person who knows him best.

I come from both sides of the fence. As a child who'd dad's alcoholism "wasn't that bad" and was damaged. Although, my dad's drinking wasn't what damaged me, his immaturity did. The fact that not only was I placed in unrealistic roles due to his alcoholism, but that he didn't recognize it. For him, it made sense for his 8 year old kid to be telling him common sense. Because even then, I could see it clearly.

I also fell in love with a man who drinks more than the "norm." From the culture we come from, it's not that outside of the box, but I made him wait 6 years still. And no kids yet because I'm not sure. Honestly, for me, having kids would mean only occasional alcohol use - but those are my fears - and knowing that my husband shares/understands my values (while being invalidating as you can see from my other post(s)).

Even if I did have a child know, my husband is 100% more mature than my dad ever will be. He's 21 (as I say) to my dad's 12. My husband puts children first, even when they obviously aren't his. He is the #1 babysitter amongst my friends.