View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
kstoho

Paula, call a family practice attorney and get advice. Most attorneys will give you a 30 min free consultation. From my experience in the state I'm in, CPS told me point blank that they consider drug use as a "lifestyle choice" when I called about my concerns over my 1 yr old grandson who lived with his addict mother. The woman actually told me she has a client who is a meth addict and she takes very good care of her children. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I am an adult child of an alcoholic and my childhood was awful. I remember always wishing someone would come and rescue me but no one ever came. I knew I could never allow my grandson to grow up in that enviroment. He is now 4 1/2 and through a series of events, he no longer lives with his mother and she has no visitation. We did not involve CPS. He is safe and lives in our home now. The other grandparents turned on us because they felt he should stay with her knowing she was an active addict and he was born with drugs in his system and she since has had another child born with drugs. When the judge heard all this, it was pretty much a no-brainer. Good luck. No matter what the outcome, know you've done what you can and just be there for him.