View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FreeBird09
I grew my wings to fly...

Maybe...

Originally Posted by Somebodyswife View Post
I too just recently reconnected with an old friend of 40 + years that is 13 years in recovery. He now lives in another state and we email every now and then. He too has given me a lot of insight on this disease, and given me the same advise as your friend.

He and his wife divorced because of the disease, and he is now into this whole new age religion that I just can't wrap my brain around, but that is his choice not mine. I do enjoy talking to him, but I'm not sure that he hasn't become addicted to AA. I mean yes he has become sober and AA will always be apart of his program to stay sober, but does it have to be your whole life? This is all he talks about, helping other drunks, going to meeting almost every day, talking with his sponsor daily. Is this how it works when they get sober?

It doesn't give me any hope that IF AH does ever get sober will there be room in his life for ME?

Would love to hear from others that have are going through recovery.
Maybe this guys calling is to help others? I was once told that they replace the addiction of alcohol for something else, most RA I have talked to are into bodybuilding (like my brother is) the guy I talked to last night said he has to work, work, work and keep busy so not to fall apart again. (One obsession traded for another, if I had a choice for my axbf I would wish that he got sober and dedicated his ENTIRE life to helping others, even if he never knocked on my door again, it would sure the heck would beat him dying over this disease hands down!)