Thread: Thoughts Please
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Tosh

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know I'm in the minority, and it's very tough being your own boss, but I wanted you to know it is at least possible. This place is a great support
D
No-one can speak on behalf of AA, so the following is just my thoughts:

Dee, I agree wholeheartedly with you apart from being in the minority. I suspect that the majority of us are our own boss; even those in AA (if we're honest) some of the time.

I think you're alluding to Step 3 of the 12 Step programme where we turn our will and our lives over to our higher power; ie we get a new boss; God; and let him run our lives.

Well, that sounds very difficult; I mean how do we do that? I don't get telephone calls or text messages from my God (I say 'my God' because he's not from any organised religion; he's my God, loose and laid back).

For me it means just doing the next right thing in front of me, oh and listening to people; I've heard that 'God' speaks to us through people, and I like that, so that's what I do. For example if I'm asked to do something that frightens me, I'll probably think 'Maybe God wants me to do this?' and I'd be more likely to say 'yes', than 'no'.

I also believe there's a lot of power in a group, even an internet forum, this one especially because it eventually got my arse into AA, even though I wasn't going to because it sounded just to weird to me. I mean the 12 step programme, what a laugh! I didn't want to take a look at myself, I only wanted to stop drinking... sheeesh; why do I want to do all that palavar!

Eventually I was beaten into going to AA and doing the suggestions, and somehow it all worked. It's very strange, no denying that, but it does work.

Anyway, I don't see any problems with trying something that won't cost you a penny and you don't sign any forms to make any legal binding agreements you may wish to break. The cult of AA is open to anyone with a desire to stop drinking and you can exit and drink at anytime; many do; but hopefully they come back. We don't follow you about cooercing you into making coffee and stuff.

Hey, I even find the meetings fun; there's a lot of laughter and micky taking that goes on and I wet myself laughing at some of the stories I hear.

You should try it sometime.