Thread: Thoughts Please
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Midton

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
ps just out of interest - why not see a doctor?
Maybe these are excuses, I'm not sure. I'm in a small rural area where everyone knows each others business and I have my own business, while getting drunk is quite acceptable, even encouraged, having a publically acknowledged problem with alcohol would impact my business and my family.

I also don't speak the language well-enough to really consult a doctor. Doctors don't really consult here either they just order.

About 2 years ago I had quit alcohol for about a month and was having trouble sleeping as I kept having to go to the toilet but nothing was really coming, I thought it was a urinary track (sp) infection. I went to the doctor who gave me a check up. He asked me about alcohol and I was quite honest with him about my drinking but on him hearing that I hadn't drunk in a month he advised me that my problem was due to overwork and subsequent stress and that I should start drinking again as it would do me good. I started drinking again that night. True story.

Anyway day 3. I actually feel great (Maybe due to the fact that I'm due to go on holiday for 2 weeks from Thursday) and I have no desire to drink tonight but I'm still working. Wednesday night will be my first tough challenge I fear.