Thread: hopless
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
keithj

David,

The only way to be free of the things you are ashamed of, is to take them all the way through the steps. I'm just guessing here, but did you hold some of the worst things back the first time you 5th stepped them? We're there some things you could not bring yourself to admit?

The BB talks about that very thing happening. We only though we had humbled ourselves. We only thought we had lost our egoism and fear.

I can only tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes. Find a solution based meeting. Find a closed meeting, or a primary purpose meeting, or a book study, or one that prides themselves on sticking to the first 164 pages. Find the book thumpers in your local area. You know, the guys that you don't like all that much, who read from the book a lot at meetings. They will know where to go.

I suggest this only because I've seen it work so well with people that have been in AA but seem to keep missing it somehow. I've seen people turn their recovery right on its head by being engrossed in the solution carried in that book. They come out of that exposure having no idea what they were missing in the rooms of mainstream AA.