View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tjp613

How do I best help my alcoholic friend?

I'm pretty new to this world of recovery. My son is a recovering addict and I'm in Al-Anon. As I sit in meetings, and read on this board I grow more and more concerned about 2 of my very dear friends (married couple) that are alcoholics. They have a very special and intelligent 11 year old son. The woman has been one of my best friends for 30 years...since we were in college together. We're like sisters and have been through everything together.

He is the "worse" of the two...much longer history...much harder drinker. I think she's in that phase where hers is just progressing and/or she's resigned to the whole lifestyle by just trying to keep up with him. KWIM? I know she would greatly benefit by going to Al-Anon and I have mentioned that to her... but she has a list of excuses for not attending. I see signs of increasing isolation.

I know I can't coerce or even suggest that they "need" to get sober (they already know that). But would it be codie of me to simply send a copy of the Big Book to them? Ugh! As I even type that I get kinda nauseous at the thought. That totally doesn't feel right.

I guess there's really nothing I can do, huh? I just feel so bad for their son.