View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
digderidoo

Getting sick of being 'different'

Does anyone else feel like this. I would just love to be so called 'normal', to able to drink like 'normal' people.

I visited a couple of friends/aquaintances last night only briefly. I arrived at their house and another mutual friend was there. I basically went to their house to pick up something they were loaning me. So i go into the living room, they offer me a coffee to which i said ok. He came back from the kitchen and to the other guy says we've opened a bottle of wine if you fancy a glass, to which he says yes. He then offers me a glass instead of the coffee, to which i decline. These friends are not close friends, i've only known them a couple of years through scuba diving, so they don't know that i'm an alcoholic and i would rather keep it that way.

Anyway i sat there with my coffee whilst the three of them had a glass of wine each. I'm sure it wasn't an issue to them, but i guess it was to me. They were only sipping the wine, not as if they were getting drunk or anything. In all honesty i sat thinking surely a glass wouldn't hurt. Some new friends i have made, including these, do go out and drink occasionally but i tend to stay away from that.

14 months in and it really p**ses me off at the moment that i can't drink, i just wish i could be a 'normal drinker'.

Advice please...failing that a slap in the face will do.

Paul