View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
worriedalot

NEED HELP with something big

A little background: I'm 33, getting married in December of this year. However in 2007 I had a horrible year. I had broken up with my boyfriend of 11 years, lost my job, and started drinking to mask my depression. During that time, I got a DUI, spent 5 days in jail, was dating a very abusive alcoholic and my parents and family watched as all this happened. Before I went to court for my DUI, I got 2 probation breaks for drinking the night before (the courts ask that you come in for random breathalyzing tests between 6 and 9). Obviously I had to tell my family (who live nearby) and they wanted me to go to a treatment center. I told them that I would go to AA and I did for a while, abstaining from alcohol completely.

In December of 07 I had everything behind me, met and fell in love with my fiance and occassionally we will have a glass of wine or two in celebration. Now the wedding is coming up and my family doesn't think I drink at all, but all his friends and family know that I do now and then.

How do I explain to my parents that I am in control now and that 2007 was just a horrible year and that I made mistakes that will never happen again? We would like to have a wedding where we can have a champagne toast and where we don't have to have his friends and family keep this "secret" from my family.