Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ian_g

Originally Posted by chairmanma084 View Post
i don't really see it as a disease either. it's your choices; some people just get caught in an avalanche of them and can't stop them. maybe addiction is a behavioral disorder, but it's something you can kick on your own if you choose to.

you can't kick cancer by choice. you can fight it with medicine and procedure and everything else. being addicted is a symptom of behavioral choices and actions. make better choices, be honest, and liberate.
Just gonna say good luck and if you somehow have a choice in the matter God bless you. There are COUNTLESS numbers on here who will attest without a spec of doubt that they had zero choice in the manner until they took certain actions.

Those who have a choice in the manner aren't alcoholics, drug addicts, gambling addicts, sex addicts, or any other kind of addict. As they are able to put it down and then walk away. If it were a choice I'm just wondering why anyone in their right mind would even both being on a Recovery Board as to their own acknowledgement found that they have a choice and the problem is solved. If one has a choice and life is fine once they choose not to pick it up, why would there be a Recovery Board like this?

Why because we hopeless addicts do no have a choice in the manner maybe early on I had "some choice" and I'll state that very very loosely because I really don't know if that is true. But very quickly it got to the point where I had no choice. If it were a choice, wouldn't there be tons and tons more sober? And would they not have simply gotten it on the first try? And wouldn't that consequences deter them from picking up? The answer to all of these questions is yes IF THE INDIVIDUAL HAD A CHOICE. If the addict is of the hopeless variety he has lost the power of choice in using/drink/whatever. I equated it to breathing for me, I don't consciously say to myself "Ok breathe!"...I just breathe. Well that is the same thing that happened to me when I was active, I didn't even think about it I just did it and before long I would be fully indulged with the cycle already in motion wondering how I even got started.