View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jamdls

Hi Rainey hang on tight and don't give in to that alcohol devil.
5 months into my sobriety my 85 yr old mother passed away, we were never close and I hadn't seen her in 10 yrs but of course it was still difficult. My father, her husband of 60 yrs was totally lost w/o her and it seemed that of his 5 kids I was the only 1 he wanted to spend time with. I also hadn't seem my father for 10 yrs before the funeral and I had a LOT of anger and pain that I'd been holding on to since I was a kid because he molested me over a period of 5 yrs and he was also a verbally and emotionally abusive drunk-until he was 62 and then he stopped drinking. So my 85 yr old father came to live with me after mom died and at times he seemed to forget that I was his daughter not his girlfriend, whether his mind was slipping or I just overreacted I'm not sure. I live alone so I had no one to intervene on my behalf and it was very difficult to say the least. I thought about drinking to just get him out of my head but I also knew that my drinking would only make matters worse and possibly probably leave me vulnerable to him so I did not drink and have not. Ultimately he had to leave because he was driving me crazy and he knew it. I grew so much from the experience and became so much stronger against alcohol I won! Since then I have finally and truly fogiven my father and he has become my best friend (from 1000 miles away) and my biggest supporter in sobriety and in all I do.

Don't give in to the alcohol. This is a difficult time for you and it can also be a time of great growth.