View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wolfchild
Disposable Hero

Originally Posted by Raineydae View Post
Has anyone else had difficult situations that have given rise to strong emotions and a desire to drink and gotten through them? I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks xx

When i was early in my recovery, yes. Not so much at all now because i have surrendered my will and my life to the care of God as i understand him. The Twelve Steps continue to help me deal with myself in any situation and circumstance. They also help me to recover from the obsession and compulsion to change my perceptions of reality. Self will becomes a useless toy because i have learned how to accept everything just as it is and only focus on what i can learn from it to become a better person. Going to meetings regularly and writing about my thoughts and feelings has helped me to get past and thru them much easier. Sharing with my sponsor has helped to bring about a clarity that i am unable to achieve all on my own. Honesty, open mindedness, and willingness has helped me to make more progress than i thought that i would ever make! The Twelve Traditions have helped develope a healthy attitude all my relationships and given me the ability to communicate effectively with others without becoming so wrapped up in my own head. They help me to focus on what is positive about relating to others and relieves me of the desire to become controlling, manipulative, and domineering in all that i do and say.

My prayers are going to God for you and my hope is that you develope a spiritual defense against taking that first drink. It could be the difference for you in finding and living a new way of life or settling for just being abstinent.