View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
sfgirl

You should do it! Get sober. It is amazing. Wonderful. Another good narrative book, a memoir, about alcoholism which resonated with me that is well written is called Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp. If the book is inspiring change, I suggest this one to you. Books have been a major part of my recovery. Especially in the early part. I identified so much with things talked about and it was actually a great relief.

Another thing I was thinking about when I read your post was that there may actually be a link between your gastric bypass and alcoholism. I don't exactly know what I am talking about but in a way gastric bypass is like antabuse for food addiction. The thing is that American society doesn't really view food issues as an addiction that needs on going attention— it is usually viewed as a lack of willpower. This is very contrary to how alcoholism is viewed in most recovery models, where it is thought of as chronic and a disease. Well, my point is that I don't think it is common for there to be group support for food addiction issues post gastric bypass so in a way you could have shifted that addictive energy towards alcohol. I actually think that I have read somewhere that it is common for people to have gastric bypass and then develop alcohol problems (but I have to look this up to confirm, I just am remembering this, I could totally be wrong).