View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jimmcf

I just got back from my weekly session with my psychiatrist; we had kind of talked about my drinking briefly in the past (but I had acted like it was no big deal), but told him this morning of what really has been going on. He talked a little about AA (which admittedly I do not know much about, but had always kind of put me off a little bit) - and before I even told him that he broached that subject - that some people are a little put off because of the higher power/God aspect of it (growing up gay and being brought up Roman Catholic with the parochial school has pretty much turned me off religion); also that some people are turned off by the "you have no control over it" aspect. But he said, being in NYC, there are tons of different kinds of meetings geared towards differing aspects of it. I guess I have to try and find the right one.

Tomorrow is moving day - so there is lots for me to do here. I am nervous about it; I have not told my b/f about this yet. He drinks a little, but for right now I would prefer not to have alcohol in the house (there is some here - but no vodka, which would be my downfall). But I want to try and focus on the sobriety and I think the relationship and job search pieces will fall into place more easily.

Again, thank you for all your help and support.