Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NewBeginning010

Originally Posted by Angsty View Post
Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this site, it is just what I've been looking for. Maybe some of you can relate to where I am, and I'll appreciate any input you can give me.

I am an ultra-responsible and engaged wife/mommy/friend/employee. My drinking does not mess up any of that. However, drinking wine is a big part of my social interactions; extended family gatherings mean lots of wine, having friends over for dinner means lots of wine, sometimes Tuesday evening means lots of wine. I don't "crave" alcohol and can go days, weeks, or however long without it, but when I do drink, I almost always drink too much. I wake up the next morning not feeling good and regretting it.

I know that I am an "all or nothing" person-- it is easier for me to not have any chips than to try to have only a few, etc. Avoiding chips is easy, but with the large role that wine plays in my family culture, I feel like quitting altogether would be conspicuous.

I don't think I need AA or anything like that... I'm just wondering at what point I should just decide to stop drinking altogether, or if I don't need to stop.

Am I alone in this, or does that make sense to any of you?

Thanks.
I am also a binge drinker so I get where you are coning from. I don't need a drink everyday & can go for a while without but.... get me started on a few & I am on a train to nowhere (cant stop drinking).

You haven't listed any of the negative impacts that your drinking has had on you or your life (money, embarrassing moments, hangovers impacting your daily & family life, scary moments while in a black out, arguments, drunk phone calls etc.). What made you decide "hmmm I may need help with alcohol"?

Maybe none of this has happened "yet" but it probably will if you are a binge drinker as we don't typically start drinking less if we don't have to ;-)

If you can please take some time to share & list of of the negative impacts that alcohol has had on your life. I find that looking back at my first post on here is a great reminder as to what was going on & why I need to stay sober.

Take Care,

NB