Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
smacked
Heathen

No one here can tell you what to do about all this.. a lot of us are sober and have been for a long time, and have walked in very similar shoes you wear

We can share our experiences. I quit when I decided that alcohol was not enhancing my life, and was contributing to negative outcomes in my health (hungover a lot, not eating right, likely not good for my liver or brain..), relationships (drunken arguments, embarrassing behaviors, whatever), and personal well being (feeling dependent on a substance outside myself for relaxation and enjoyment, medicating anxiety, ignoring emotional work I needed to do instead of drink away).

You may or may not have a problem, if you can go days or weeks without it, why not try a month and see how you feel, if it's no big deal?

I came from a heavy drinking 'culture' and 'family'.. I ended up just explaining that I quit drinking because I wanted to be healthier.. it's a no brainer. I found that most of them really could care less if I drank, unless they needed a drinking partner to make them feel better about thier own behavior. People that care about me would never have questioned my desire for improved health.. if they did, they aren't my friends anymore. I don't need toxic people in my life...

Give it 30 days, see if the benefits from not drinking outweigh the benefits you might think you get from your binge drinking/hangover pattern.