Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Angsty

Flirting with quitting... but not convinced I need to.

Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this site, it is just what I've been looking for. Maybe some of you can relate to where I am, and I'll appreciate any input you can give me.

I am an ultra-responsible and engaged wife/mommy/friend/employee. My drinking does not mess up any of that. However, drinking wine is a big part of my social interactions; extended family gatherings mean lots of wine, having friends over for dinner means lots of wine, sometimes Tuesday evening means lots of wine. I don't "crave" alcohol and can go days, weeks, or however long without it, but when I do drink, I almost always drink too much. I wake up the next morning not feeling good and regretting it.

I know that I am an "all or nothing" person-- it is easier for me to not have any chips than to try to have only a few, etc. Avoiding chips is easy, but with the large role that wine plays in my family culture, I feel like quitting altogether would be conspicuous.

I don't think I need AA or anything like that... I'm just wondering at what point I should just decide to stop drinking altogether, or if I don't need to stop.

Am I alone in this, or does that make sense to any of you?

Thanks.