View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
keithj

Hmmm. When I just quit drinking for various amounts of time, everybody p*ssed me off. I couldn't believe the mundane, trivial, silly lives of everyone around me. Everyone seemed rude and insensitive. I felt better than everyone else, and felt like they had nothing of value. I was full of scorn and contempt. I'm not saying you are, just that's how it was for me. And I always returned to drinking. God knows I desreved to, having to deal with this stupid crap every day.

When that way of living was no longer tolerable to me, and I finally I took the steps of recovery, I began to see the world differently. My reaction to life underwent a profound alteration, as the Big Book says. I saw that the world and its people really dominated me.

Today I know that I see what I believe. If I believe the world is full of thoughtless, insensitive jerks, I'll be sure to find them. But the flip side is true as well. I joke sometimes that all the *ssholes must have moved away when I recovered. Funny as it sounds, I just don't see them anymore. It's probably because the biggest *sshole was me, and that person is gone. In that way, my own personal recovery has the power to change the world, as least as far as my perspective of it.

True recovery is the most beautiful thing in the world to me. It's a blessing every single day.