View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Thank you everyone and thanks so much louis for remembering. With just losing my Mom 10 days ago, I honestly forget. I got on my new computer this morning and while I was installing different programs, I saw the date several times and then it hit me, Today marks 4 years that I have been Clean & Sober!

As most of you know, I was very close to my Mom. Yes, she drove me nuts sometimes, but she was still my best friend. I guess our best friends, no matter who they are, can get under our skin at times. But one of the many Blessings I received from my Mom was learning patience, understanding, acceptance, gentleness, tolerance and so many other things that I feel are necessary in Recovery.

There have been more times than I can even begin to count over the past 4 years that I have thanked God above for my Sobriety. Situations that if I weren't in Recovery I have no doubt that I would have went on binges where I would have more than likely overdosed and killed myself. I have lost both of my Parents in the past 4 years, my physical illnesses have increased dramatically, I had to quit working and go through many months with no income, not knowing how I was going to keep the rent paid and a roof over my head . . . the list goes on. But throughout it all, I put my truth and faith in God and made it through each situation without using.

The biggest and most important thing that I have found in Recovery is a God of my understanding. I was raised Catholic and the God that I had been raised to believe in was one that I was afraid of. I remember all throughout Catholic elementary school being taught that if I "sinned" or broke one of the 10 Commandments, I was going to hell. That terrified me! How was I supposed to put my faith, love and trust in someone who was "threatening" to have me burn in hell? That's how I saw it when I was a little girl and it stuck in my head. But in Recovery, I have found a God who is loving, forgiving and who I know is always with me.

And for that, I realize just how truly Blessed I am.