View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
luvmybf

I'm pretty sure he was doing what he thought was best. I'm not he to judge anyone. I really guess I'm looking for someone that has been through this. He put himself in a 3 month in house rehab and moved straight to a sober house and attended meetings every day. I realize he ignored the whole year-relationship thing but it just kind of happened. We have talked about the reason he tried to play it off as nothing, because he wanted to believe that he could handle it, could control the urge...he knows that by him not doing what he needed to do by staying in meetings, staying active, having a sponsor, reading his book....these are the reasons that he relapsed.

Yes, he is a wonderful person...again, I can't judge him for taking/stealing my prescriptions...I've never been addicted to anything so I don't understand the craving. Drugs and alcohol make good people do stupid things. He's not a bad person, he's not a thief...he's an alcoholic.

I care enough about him to do what I can to help him. I know his sobriety is up to him but I want to support him....I guess that's why I joined this site.

Originally Posted by sandrawg View Post
Well I hate to say this but it doesn't sound like your bf was really working the program. In AA, they recommend that people in recovery stay away from romantic relationships until they have more sobriety time under their belt. I think they say, wait at LEAST a year. He ignored this.

The reason they say that, is because someone who is shaky and new in their sobriety has a good chance of relapsing if they get into a romantic relationship, which tend to cause conflict, and stress, even when they are good. Also, the alcoholic can end up making the rel'ship his drug.

Plus, him making it sound like it's "no big deal"...someone truly working the steps would be taking it more seriously, I think.

He's a wonderful person? Really? He stole your pills...hmm.

I'd ask you this-you know what it's like to hear empty promises from an addict. Addicts behave pretty similarly. "Textbook", in fact. Remember that you need to trust an addict's actions, not his words.

Knowing this, what do YOU feel is the right thing to do?