View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Well I hate to say this but it doesn't sound like your bf was really working the program. In AA, they recommend that people in recovery stay away from romantic relationships until they have more sobriety time under their belt. I think they say, wait at LEAST a year. He ignored this.

The reason they say that, is because someone who is shaky and new in their sobriety has a good chance of relapsing if they get into a romantic relationship, which tend to cause conflict, and stress, even when they are good. Also, the alcoholic can end up making the rel'ship his drug.

Plus, him making it sound like it's "no big deal"...someone truly working the steps would be taking it more seriously, I think.

He's a wonderful person? Really? He stole your pills...hmm.

I'd ask you this-you know what it's like to hear empty promises from an addict. Addicts behave pretty similarly. "Textbook", in fact. Remember that you need to trust an addict's actions, not his words.

Knowing this, what do YOU feel is the right thing to do?

Originally Posted by luvmybf View Post

So I've been dating my bf for 6 months now and I knew when we started dating that he was an alcoholic...except he made it sound like it was really no big deal. He was only a couple months sober when we started dating and but was living in a sober house and going to AA every day. A couple months ago he moved out of town to work for the family business and stopped going to his regular meetings. He went to a couple in the new town but didn't find a sponsor and didn't ever stay to talk to someone.

Trying to make this short....but....basically he showed up to my house last weekend wasted. Spilled his guts a that he drank the weekend before when I was out with my friends and stole pain killers that I had left over (and never took an of) from last summer out of my medicine cabinet. He had just made the 6 month mark. We argued all night Friday, I felt like all our plans and relationship went down the drain. We've talked marriage and kids...I know it's only 6 months but this is future stuff...but he has become my best friend. I can tell him everything and he doesn't judge me...loves me just the way I am. Well, he drank again Saturday and again Sunday...and later I found out he took pills too on Sunday. Of course he lied when I asked him but later told me the truth when he was sober.

My question...now he is promising me this won't ever happen again...and I want to believe him but I have an alcoholic/pill addicted mother that has been promising me the same thing for over 15 years. It breaks my heart because he is such a wonderful person. He is a Christian and has got me into church and loving it and he has a wonderful family and would do anything for me and my son....WHAT DO I DO??????