View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
luvmybf

Unhappy Can a drinker date an alcoholic?

So I've been dating my bf for 6 months now and I knew when we started dating that he was an alcoholic...except he made it sound like it was really no big deal. He was only a couple months sober when we started dating and but was living in a sober house and going to AA every day. A couple months ago he moved out of town to work for the family business and stopped going to his regular meetings. He went to a couple in the new town but didn't find a sponsor and didn't ever stay to talk to someone.

Trying to make this short....but....basically he showed up to my house last weekend wasted. Spilled his guts a that he drank the weekend before when I was out with my friends and stole pain killers that I had left over (and never took an of) from last summer out of my medicine cabinet. He had just made the 6 month mark. We argued all night Friday, I felt like all our plans and relationship went down the drain. We've talked marriage and kids...I know it's only 6 months but this is future stuff...but he has become my best friend. I can tell him everything and he doesn't judge me...loves me just the way I am. Well, he drank again Saturday and again Sunday...and later I found out he took pills too on Sunday. Of course he lied when I asked him but later told me the truth when he was sober.

My question...now he is promising me this won't ever happen again...and I want to believe him but I have an alcoholic/pill addicted mother that has been promising me the same thing for over 15 years. It breaks my heart because he is such a wonderful person. He is a Christian and has got me into church and loving it and he has a wonderful family and would do anything for me and my son....WHAT DO I DO??????