Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by spittake View Post
Originally Posted by Zencat
Enlightenment comes at a high price...eternal peace. Peace from concrete, static mythologies from a time of long lost beliefs burred in antiquity.
Do you mean it costs us the eternal peace born of religion?
No, but a bit of flowery writing on my part that obscured my original intent.
I now see the eternal as an never ending continuance of the present moment. To me that means abandoning any belief for some future mystic reward but to accept the I only have now and when I pass away from death...my eternal moment ends. My eternal rewards are now...as long as I stay in the moment.

Originally Posted by vegibean
I'm sure you all have discussed this to death over here but I am asking not only for myself but also my sponsee. I do not believe in "God", nor does she.

I have heard the statement made many times "if you don't believe in a God or a higher power, you're never going to stay sober." I think that's a bunch of hooey. I've reassured my sponsee the same.

So for all of you non-believers, how much time do you have? I have almost two years now, WOO HOO!!!!!!!

BTW, I don't pray, I meditate and have heart to heart talks with myself. I believe that as long as I'm honest with myself, I know the answers within myself.

Any input? Thanks in advance.
No God or HP...no problem. The main body of my addiction treatment program is REBT/CBT (secular) and Zen Buddhism (non-theist). I don't have theist/deist/supernatural beliefs. I have found it possible to work AA's or NA's program well within my experience of said programs. In fact I augment my addiction treatment program with many other healthy living strategies/coping skills/philosophies.

As for being a collector of time, clean & sober time I'm sure you meant...and that would be continuous...yes. On this go around...right. Lets see I have about a 1 1/2 years. Now if I were the type of guy that counted emotional, spiritual and life skills maturity in units of time with regards of being in addiction treatment, I would have about ten years accumulated. But all and all I don't judge myself or others by calender C & S time. I have found it to be rather deceiving when assessing someone in relation to being healthy or not.

"To thy own self be true" and good effort on your C & S time V-Bean .