View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rianestorm

Location: Pennsylvania. It's like Transylvania without the good times.
Paula,

I'm replying here because for some reason my PM didn't go through. To my knowledge, they almost never remove a child from their birth parents unless they have hard proof of physical danger. In my experience emotional and mental don't count. It makes no sense, but that's my experience.

My other major advice is not to do this halfway. Do not pursue this unless you are willing to take responsibility for this child permanently. And really sit down and think about what that means. I was taken away from my mother when I was 11. This was after living for months in a house with no heat or water. Only the living room had a broken kerosene heater which spewed more soot than actual heat and it wasn't until the week before Christmas that they took me. I remember waking up with black rings around my eyes, nose and mouth from the soot. And I couldn't wash my face until I was already at school, so they reported it and that was that.

After that I went to live with my aunt but she only kept me for 9 months before she decided she couldn't take care of a 12 year old anymore. Then I went back to my parents, which wasn't a very good thing, but at least it wasn't foster care. So, my point is, if you really want this, think it through. I realize that this sounds like me ranting about my crappy childhood, but I honestly don't think that's what this is. I've never had an opportunity to potentially help a child in a similar situation. I find myself unusually motivated.

Hoping things get better,
Riane