Thread: frightened
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by rachelbrittany View Post
i'd appreciate if anyone was ever in this boat and could let me know some words of advice, or anything - i'm scared.
Scared is OK. Being honest about it is great. I think that not only have I been in that boat, but that almost every alcoholic early in sobriety has been in that boat.

The boat is, I've got some time away from my solution to life (alcohol), but I don't have any other solution to life. The thrill is gone, so to speak, and life starts feeling real heavy again.

This is a boat that almost everyone here has been in. Look around this place. Notice what people are doing to stay sober. Evaluate who is staying sober. Take note of everyone else who is sober for a few months and goes back out drinking for the same feelings you express.

The one thing you didn't mention in talking about meetings and a sponsor is taking any steps. The question, as it always is, is what step are you on? It's in those steps that I found a solution to life without alcohol. It wasn't in meetings, or socializing, or a job, or some stuff, but in those steps that I found freedom from myself so that I could fully participate in life.