View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FSquared
Su**endering...

"1. Do you love me? and
2. Do you want to build a life with me?"

In my experience, those can be tricky questions when they are early in recovery. You're expecting one of two answers and you're getting neither. Its your expectations that are out of whack here. In my case, the more I realized I was "needing" THE ANSWER...the more I realized that I needed to focus on myself and what was going on with me.

Yes, I'd really love the answers to those questions. But I'm working on letting the answers come in her time...and being certain of my own answers to them. It is a real struggle.

But she is a human being with her own will and life. Letting go of any control and trusting that I will be ok whatever happens is hard.

I would caution against seeking any answers at the couples counseling. Expectations of outcomes only sets the stage for disappointment. A session or two is not going to break through the years of insanity, miscommunication, distrust, etc. that comes with alcoholic/addict relationships. Try to go with an open mind and accept whatever happens. Regardless, treat it like an opportunity to grow in your own recovery.