View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Daisy09
Optimist

Originally Posted by vicodaniel View Post
marital found a people search in wifes bookmarks for guy she seemed interested in some years back claims she just nosy, but she heard he left his wife.Inappropriate at best.
Hi Daniel,

My husband is struggling to overcome an opiate addiction (heroin/morphine.) I just thought maybe I would share this with you...

One night when I was feeling particularly sad and alone and he was in detox, I searched an old boyfriend on facebook. It meant nothing. It's not like I wanted to go looking for this guy and rekindle a relationship from 20 years ago, in fact it actually made me feel worse, not better, as this guy seemed to "have it all together." But then some wise friends told me that if you looked at my facebook page, that it looked like I had it all together, too, and that everyone has things that aren't so great about their lives that they just don't show to the world.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't really sweat it, and that it probably means nothing. If your wife didn't love you, she probably wouldn't be hanging around while you're recovering. It's just really, really hard sometimes to love someone who is addicted, whether they are recovering or not. I know that it is imperative for the recovering addict to "put their recovery first" but that leaves us, the ones who love you, as a distant second, and that's a really crappy feeling. Sometimes it's a hard not to fantasize about what life might have been life without addiction in it, no matter how much you love someone.

Hang tough Daniel, and don't forget to tell your wife you love her.

Daisy