View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SteppingItUp
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Does NA stress sobriety from everything in the same way AA seems to?
NA is as serious about it as it gets. That's the foundation of the program. The deal is this: no mind or mood altering substances. In NA, alcohol is categorized as a drug. As far as NA is concerned, drinking alcohol would be considered using.

The following is read at every meeting:

"The only way to keep from returning to active addiction is not to take that first drug. If you are like us you know that one is too many and a thousand never enough. We put great emphasis on this, for we know that when we use drugs in any form, or substitute one for another, we release our addiction all over again.

Thinking of alcohol as different from other drugs has caused a great many addicts to relapse. Before we came to NA, many of us viewed alcohol separately, but we cannot afford to be confused about this. Alcohol is a drug. We are people with the disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover."

The beginning of the meeting also includes this:

What is the Narcotics Anonymous program?

"This is a program of complete abstinence from all drugs. There is only one requirement for membership, the desire to stop using."

If alcohol is a drug, then drinking is not practicing complete abstinence from all drugs.

What really bothers me, though, is that this girl was dancing around and licking her chops about a mimosa to someone who has a drinking problem and is trying to stay sober, and then asking them if it's okay to indulge. Not cool.

I'm sorry you had this experience. Just know that it's not representative of NA; rather, it's representative of this person's own issues.

I wish you the best.