View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by 28Days View Post
KJ - I know that. But I know this boy pretty well. I have this feeling that he just doesn't think he can stop. Or something.
I know that I truly, in my heart of hearts, did not think I could stop. I started seeing a new theripist and when I told her all of the awful things I've gone though because I insisted on continuing to smoke, she asked me, "why didn't you just stop?" It was a good question, because eventually that is what I did, but not before I wrecked terible destruction on myself and the relationships of many of those closest to me. I didn't have an answer for her. I was to the point where I tried to take my own life because I really didn't think I could stop, and I knew I couldnt' keep going the way I was. But even after that dramatic event, I still continued. I wasn't 2 hrs out of the mental ward before I slipped away and got a half oz.

It would probably help him to see a good theripist, but the cold hard facts are, unless he is ready to quit, there is nothing you can do. I sure wish I had more hopeful advice than that, but that is all I really know. And as I can't really tell you exactly what made me stop, other than a location change and upcoming drug screens for a new job, I sure can't suggest what it is going to be that makes him stop. The best thing for you is to protect yourself (I believe you are in recovery as well?) and try to be there for him when and if he is ready to make an honest attempt. Best of luck. Take care.