View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I agree it's wonderful that you are putting your fears down in writing, that will help you to deal with the issue. 5 months into my sobriety my mother passed away, I had not seen my parents in 10 years. My sister informed me that mom was in the hospital but no one expected me to fly to Florida, not only would it be stressful due to her dying but I also have panic attacks when I fly. Well I went to Florida and was there for 3 days before my mom died and for several days after, my family all expected that I would relapse (I later learned); I never even thought about drinking! A few weeks later I realized that my sobriety had largely been what had given me the strength to cope with all that happened and it continues to make me stronger every day.

jamdls, thank you so much for this. You touched on exactly the kind of tragedy I was thinking of...something major like that. Thank you for sharing your struggles here.

I worry too much...but I know the people close to me won't be around forever. I'm scared of losing them...and that would be the only thing that could break me right now. I could lose my job, my shelter and my dignity, but those things wouldn't be enough to get me to drink.

If some kind of major disaster happens I'll voluntarily commit myself. That's my plan right now.

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
I just try to think back to when I was 14 and I had great fun/enjoyment without any need for alcohol and it never crossed my mind.
This one got me to smile. I think about this often. Thanks, NEO.