Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
tommyk
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I was thinking back to a few years ago, when I decided to try running again after about a ten year layoff, during time which I convinced myself I was too old, it was too hard on my knees, I might get shinsplints, I didn't have time, ********, horseshit, cowshit...

But for some reason I decided to run a few blocks anyhow, and it was REALLY hard. Every step was a chore. I thought I was gonna throw up, I was gagging for air. The next day my legs and butt were soooooo sore.

I recovered and I ran again a week later, with pretty much the same physical stuff over again but I knew what to expect so I guess it wasn't as bad.

I went up to the track at a nearby high school and started running there.

One time during a scheduled two mile run I became brave and bold and decided to go for three miles. This was a serious feat, I was kind of scared with nervous excitement - and I did it - three miles. I called a lot of people on the phone that night just to slip it into the conversation somewhere that I had run three (3) miles.

Then 4 miles, then 5 miles, 7 miles, 11 miles.... etc.... I was a runner!

These days it seems like I run 5-6 miles with my eyes closed. Tonight's 5-6 mile run was pure mental relaxation, and it seemed like some physical relaxation too. I love it. I am a runner.

Smoke? Drink? Do drugs? No way - it might interfere with my running, lol.

Gratitude. I appreciate it all, I don't take it for granted.