View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Are you willing to do whatever it takes?

Then make sobriety your absolute priority.

Go to meetings, get a sponsor, and work through the 12 steps.

Don't hesitate. Just do it.

It took hard work and patience but I no longer "battle with my mind." I'm at peace.

Don't think your problem is as bad as others? Maybe that's something to be very grateful for - that you don't have to hit that absolute rock bottom. Personally, this is something that I am so thankful for.

Here is a quote from the book "12 Steps & 12 Traditions" that might help:

That is why the first edition of the book "Alcoholics Anonymous," published when our membership was small, dealt with low-bottom cases only. Many less desperate alcoholics tried A.A., but did not succeed because they could not make the admission of hopelessness.

It is a tremendous satisfaction to record that in the following years this changed. Alcoholics who still had their health, their families, their jobs, and even two cars in the garage, began to recognize their alcoholism. As this trend grew, they were joined by young people who were scarcely more than potential alcoholics. They were spared that last ten or fifteen years of literal hell the rest of us had gone through. Since Step One requires an admission that our lives have become unmanageable, how could people such as these take this Step?

It was obviously necessary to raise the bottom the rest of us had hit to the point where it would hit them. By going back in our own drinking histories, we could show that years before we realized it we were out of control, that our drinking even then was no mere habit, that it was indeed the beginning of a fatal progression.