View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heaja13

Lightbulb Struggling to Survive

I'm 31 years old and have been trying (unsucessfully) to be sober for just over a year now. I have good days and bad days. This time around I've been sober since June 26th.

Here's my story:

I was in denial for many years about how my drinking has been a problem and how it's been getting worse and worse. What got me started on the path to acknowledging my problem and my few attempts and soberity, was when my boyfriend ended up in the hospital. He's been a heavy drinker for years and now he has some major problems with his liver.

I remember looking at him in that hospital bed and thinking to myself, I don't drink that much less than he does. And realizing that if I don't make some changes, this could be me in a few years.

After that, he got sent to treatment and we both started going to meetings. Things we going great until he started drinking again. I survived about 2 days longer than he did. 6 months soberity down the toilet.

I guess I need to start going to meetings again and I would really like some advice from people that are alcoholics themselves and also live with one. (spouse, boyfriend, ect...)

The things that help me slip is that fact that I've never been to treatment or had a DWI or been forced into treatment by family or friends. I don't have those experiences so after awhile it's so easy to start thinking that I don't have a problem as much as those that do.

It's a constant battle with my mind...

Thanks for listening! Sorry I wrote a book....

Heaja13