Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MagicMan08
Helping Others, Helps Me

Abstaining from alcohol and self confidence coming back

I think I deal with social situations better with a clear mind than I do when I am drinking. I am a much more likeable guy, and I also take better care of myself. I just feel like a different person not being under that stigma of being hungover and trying to piece together the stupid **** I did the night before. And maybe even being half embarrassed to go back to where I was the night before or see certain people.

Today, I feel like I can go anywhere, and have something to offer somebody. And people will usually enjoy my presence. My next step is to rebuild my social network and get out and enjoy myself in a sober manor....people will more than likely wanna do something with me again this way. But I have to contact these people, because once you stop calling them, usually they stop calling sooner or later as well. Its not like people didn't like me around most of the time, but I became not the most fun guy to hang with towards the end of my drinking. So it was more of a "do I wanna deal with him....or go out with so and so instead"

If it seems life is tough and things are starting to hurt as a result of your drinking. It doesn't have to be that way anymore. I look back at a happier me, several years ago, before I was drinking a 12 pack a day. I had a lot more fun then. And I want that back. I chose whether I want to make my life difficult and ultimately lonely drinking or if I want to be happy and social sober and enjoy the moments for what they are. But, I am a real alcoholic, and this is just how it is.